You've invested countless hours and brain power into your invention and it's finally ready to present to the world. The next question on your mind - "How much is it going to cost me to protect my idea?" Below we provide a comparetive outline of patent procedure and costs for boutique law firms across the US against MU Patent costs.
The cost of filing a patent involves:
- Drafting and filing the initial application
- Prosecuting the application before the USPTO
- Paying official issue fess and post-issuance maintenance fees
According to AIPLA, the following are the average attorney fees charged by a typical intellectual property boutique firm in 2007 (adjusted for inflation):
The average cost of preparing a utility patent application:
- Preparation and filing of original application of minimal complexity by small patent firm (10 page specification, 10 claims) = $9,634.94 + official fees
- Relatively complex biotechnology/chemical cases = $17,355.96 + official fee
- Relatively complex mechanical cases = $12,942.02 + official fee
- Relatively complex electrical/computer cases = $15,424.02 + official fee
The average cost for filing an office action response/amendment:
- Minimal complexity = $2,529.34
- Relatively complex biotechnology/chemical case = 5013.59
- Relatively complex electrical/computer case = $4407.18
- Relatively complex mechanical case is = $3,951.81
- Plus extension fees (if response filed late) + Request foe Continued Examination
Post-allowance and issuance fees:
Once a patent is allowed, and issue fees are paid, the patent will issue. The current issue fee is $480 for a small entity. Patent maintenance fees are due at 3.5, 7.5 and 11.5 years after issuance. The current small entity/micro entity maintenance fees are $800/$400 at 3.5 years, $1800/$900 at 7.5 years and $3700/$1850 at 11.5 years.
MU Patents Fees
Our typical fees for preparing a patent application range from a flat rate of $3000 to around $3500 depending on the complexity and number of inventions in the application. We can include more than one invention in a single application to save you costs. These inventions can then still be separated during prosecution where a divisional can be filed for the second invention.
Our fees for full office action responses including claims amendments is a flat rate of $999, with higher fees required where the specification must be rewritten. Our success rate with office actions is around 85%.
Contact a MU Patents professional today to discuss rates and terms of application further at 858.263.7554.